I have been inspired by an awesome group of women I am getting to know in an online Bible study I started this month through the Proverbs 31 Ministry. I thought the title for this post was great because I am starting a blog and a new Bible study. I will explain the reason behind the blog name in another post.
Again, you are probably wondering how in the world do I have time to do an online Bible study. Well I do know that the Lord led me to it so he will see me through it!
Let me back up a bit...
I was reading a devotional online one day at http://www.proverbs31.org/
The next thing I knew I found myself at http://melissataylor.org/ who is the online Bible study leader for the ministry. No, I was not looking to do an online Bible study, but somewhere on the sight the advertisement for this study jumped out at me...
Does this not make you want to go to the beach?
Well, at that moment I was wishing I was at the beach after the crazy day I had the day before. I remember thinking when I woke up that morning, "what did I do to make my day so chaotic?"
Check out that title!
I thought and prayed about it for a few days then I signed up. Although I am already on the computer way too much with the two online classes I am taking, I felt a peace about it. I do not like starting something I cannot finish so I knew I was in this for the whole twelve weeks!
So I look at the title and ask myself is there really peace in a chaotic world? Well I know from experience that it is possible to have peace. It is possible to have peace
- on the busy days
- on the low days
- on the happy days
- on the depressing days
My goal for this study is to get back to that place where I had peace through all circumstances...good or bad. The past three years in my family have been full of changes, trials, good times, bad times, and drama with people outside the home. Life has been chaotic in good and bad ways. It is easy to blame someone else for the stress, but in the end we are responsible for how we handle it.
For the most part I handle it pretty well. I live a very structured life and it is sort of like a juggling act. All of the balls are rotating just right up in the air and one little drift of air can make them all come tumbling down. Sometimes it might be at the hand of someone else or it might be out of my own doing. Maybe I forgot about a deadline at work and had to scramble at the last minute or maybe it was the degrading, accusatory email from my ex. Maybe it was something good like deciding at the last minute to do something spontaneous with my children or something really needed like stopping class because a student needed to talk about the death of his dad...(that happened to me last year and it was so sad).
Whatever the cause of stress I have a choice in how I handle it. One thing I am reminded of from the study this week is that I cannot change people or circumstances. I can only change how I handle them. I cannot make my ex take care of his portion of my son's hospital bill from over 6 months ago, but I can and did stop receiving emails on my phone just so I am not caught getting stressed out over one of his hurtful emails at a time when I am in the middle of five other things or spending time with my children. I cannot change deadlines at work, but I can find a better way to keep track of them on a calendar and prioritize my day.
I have been told by many at work that I am so laid back and just go with the flow. They say I don't get stressed out over things. Well either that is a work of the Lord or I am just good at hiding it!! I don't want to hide it, but to know that I really do have the peace and stressed-less kind of attitude. I did not mean to type this much (and don't expect it every time) nor do I know how often I will get to do this, but I am looking forward to an exciting 12 weeks with this book.
Blessings!

Hello, Tanya! I am participating in the study as well, and I think your recent post is awesome. It sounds like God definitely opened a door for you in this study, as He did for me. What a blessing! God bless!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny! Thanks so much for reading my post. I am so excited to see what I learned in the next 11 chapters. Glad you are able to participate in the study too.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Tanya you do have a knack for writing. Love it and it's just beautiful. I hope mine is as good someday and yes Melissa Taylor is the reason I am trying to blog. Thank you so much for sharing. Debbie W. (OBS Leader)
ReplyDeleteThanks Debbie! Do you have a blog listed on Melissa's site? I would love to check it out. I looked at so many on there, but can't remember all of the names.
ReplyDeleteThis was a lovely post. I'm so glad to see you blogging !!
ReplyDeleteThanks Hope, I really enjoyed it. What I enjoy even more is reading the other blogs. So much to learn from everyone.
ReplyDeleteTanya loved it. Great job. Debbie W. (OBS Group Leader)
ReplyDelete