Monday, May 20, 2013

Laying Down My Pride

So last week in my Bible study I sort of got a slap in the face.  Most of you that read this are participating in the Proverbs 31 Ministries online Bible study titled Stress-Lessed Living by Tracie Miles and you know what chapter I am talking about.  For anyone else reading this the chapter is called I Can Do It Myself...or Can I?  I skimmed through the chapter and looked at the discussion questions realizing that it was all about pride and thought to myself that I would finally have an easy week with the study because I am a very humble person and do not like to be boastful.  I actually have to talk myself into saying or admitting that I did something worthy of praise.  I feel like anything good I do comes as a natural reflection of what the Lord has equipped me with and I am just carrying out his plans.  If I do good at something through my job, helping someone, or being kind to someone I have a hard time accepting praise for it.  I feel like taking the credit means that God does not get credit for it.

This chapter reminded me of the side of pride that I forget about.

  • The side that says I am not worthy of doing anything extraordinary.   
  • The side that says I am inferior to others.  
  • The side that says I do not deserve a compliment.  
  • The side where I put myself down thinking I am not good enough. 
I am not saying humble is bad because the Bible says we are to be humble, but we should also acknowledge that God equips us with certain gifts and talents that are to be used to his glory.  It still takes the focus off of him if we are putting ourselves down.  

I actually sort of got two slaps in the face because the chapter also talked about pride fueling our need for independence.  Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength".  I seem to take that verse and think that God has given me enough strength to go out and endure everything on my own, but that is not so.

First of all, we can do nothing apart from him.  If we do then we are going to be a big mess of stress.  Second of all, I know the Lord puts people in our lives to help us.  I have a hard time with that one.  My pride gets in the way and sees it as a sign of weakness.  I feel like a failure if I have to ask for help.  I feel like whatever I am going through or struggling with is my cross to bear and there is no need to burden anyone else.  I actually get very nervous and anxious if I have to ask for help.

I know these are lies, but satan is tricky at telling us we do not need God or others and can do this on our own.  Like Tracie said in her book, satan "feeds us lies, telling us we don't need God.  He puts rebellion in our minds, fueling the fire by reminding us that we didn't deserve these problems and it must be all god's fault, or at least somebody's fault".  After hearing all of that I then feel condemned and have been robbed of my self-worth.

Tracie listed some stressful stumbling blocks that we encounter when we try to rely on our own strength instead of trusting God.  A few of my stumbling blocks are fear, fatigue, being overwhelmed, worry, and feeling overworked.  Good grief!  No wonder I am exhausted all the time.  I know I have a lot of work to do in this area.  Here is a great verse to remind us of what happens when we let pride seep in.

Blessings!







2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. It's so true that Satan is tricky in convincing us that we shouldn't go to others for help and support. It's so easy to allow those lies to begin to take over my heart and forget that Christ uses the intimacy found in sharing the good and bad with others to help us grow closer to Him. Praying that God will continue to speak to you through this book and His Word.

    Blessings
    Kristi Seat
    OBS Leadership Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like God is really speaking to you through this study and chapter six. This is a great post. You make all your key points very clear to the reader so that we can fully grasp the lessons He is teaching you. Praying he will continue to open your eyes and heart through this book.

    ReplyDelete